First images from the Fujifilm X-Pro1(Pre Production Model)

31 Jan 2012 at 12:10pm

Well here are the first images from a fantastic camera. Both Michael Coyne and myself are really loving the x-pro1. It feels nice, looks nice, shoots nice and that shutter noise is very sexy. Below are the images, straight from the camera, and a worked equivalent, totally Fletched. Feel free to download these raw files to your computer and have a play with them in photoshop. Have a look at the metadata for info about the image. All images were handheld, no time for tripods this morning. Later today we will be heading out to the Flinders Ranges and will do some side by side comparisons with the 5D2. More of those images to come. My initial feelings are that this camera is a worthy replacement for a bulky dslr system. If you have to travel light, this is the camera for you. Physically it is only marginally larger than the x100 so slinging it around your neck for a day is no problem. In fact I am wearing mine right now!, it is a fashion accessory!! Man bling! or Girl Bling too for that matter. Below are Michael Coyne’s images. These were shot at 6400 and 1000 iso respectively and are completely untouched jpg’s straight from the camera and have not been altered in any way.

1. Ailsa says:

Thanks Christian. This could be a camera to suit me in the future.

2. Dan Proud says:

They look impressive. Can’t believe the the bottom was shot on 6400?? That surely beats the 5D2 for iso performance!

3. wow! beautiful quality! my only concern is manual focusing ability.

4. Stuart says:

not much noise for iso 6400. Pretty compelling (Anyone want to buy a 2nd hand X100…)

5. I think you guys just sold me. This thing kills at high iso’s! Cant wait to get my hands on one!

6. ratty says:

What lens??

7. Chris says:

That is pretty impressive ISO 6400… Beating the 5D Mk II? Heck, that looks like it even beats the D3s at 6400!

8. Stewart Ross says:

Very nice! Thanks for sharing Fletch ;)

9. John D. says:

I am looking forward for more detailed share of your experience !
    As a X100 Owner (and a 5DII too) , I did my order for the X-pro already 1 month ago, waiting impatiently for the arrival…
    For example : I like the noiseless shutter of the X100 a lot. (One reason for me not to sell the X100) You talk about a “sexy Shutter noise” of the X-Pro…. what does this mean? Is it loud, silent, or whatever? Can you give ,me an idea?
    What about the AF in comparison with the X100?
    Thanx a lot

• Derek Clark says:

Have a look and listen to this John http://youtu.be/ENpbrZjsxUg , you’ll know what a sexy shutter sounds like.

Mine is pre-ordered and I hope it will show up in February. I’ll be using the X-Pro1 and the X100 for documentary work.

Thanks for these samples guys…it looks as though Fuji didn’t include a flash in the X-Pro1 cause it doesn’t need one:-)

Derek.

10. Charlene says:

Dear god, I’m starting to shake like a junkie just looking at these images. Those high ISO shots are amazing. How are you finding the autofocus performance compared to the x100? And maybe, your DSLR?

11. Steve says:

SWEET!!!!

Now, if I could only get my hands on one.

Guess I have to take a workshop on sucking up from the master, eh Christian?

12. Ok… those shots are wayyyyy too soft…
    I’m sorry but sure you can’t see any noise but it’s due to some heavy noise reduction
    Just zoom in the image.. even at ISO 1000…..

Those pictures look good at first sight (like my Sony cyber-shot dsc-hx9v)

People just open your eyes….

And I’m a proFuji but in this regard i’m quite upset about Fuji in handling it’s noise reduction.

13. Muzzy says:

I would love to hear how well the manual focus works on this camera.

14. gnohz says:

Wow the 6400 looks really good! Thanks for sharing :)

15. Deniz says:

Hi Guys,
    how is the Autofocus on that Camera and how is it to focus in manual mode?
    Cheers, Deniz

16. I’m planning to get one to take on the Kokoda track with me next year.. will certainly beat using a giant DSLR for the hike anyway.

Just wondering Christian, was there any delay between pressing the shutter button and the photo being taken?

17. Looks great to me, 5DII 7D and X100 owner. Leaves 7D for dead, looks like it matches the 5DII. Love my X100 though. I will watch thsi camera with interest

18. Are you still going to post the comparisons with the 5D2? If so, when?

19. Anton says:

Stop asking question of camera performance. He can’t answer or review the camera. Luv the IQ :)

20. Paul says:

Hows the focusing – manual and autofocus? I want to get this camera, but the price is a little offputting. The new Oly OM-D is interesting but no sample shots yet.

21. Andre says:

It all looks very promising but since January 31st, I am anxiously waiting for more photo’s… :-)

22. Max Metz says:

Beautiful photography from you both, after reading the manual this camera would ergonomically suit me down to the ground, these frames seem to live up to Fuji’s promise on image and lens quality. Thanks for posting these – my very best to you. :D

23. How is autofocus ? Is it realy “pro”?

24. Mike says:

Give us a break.

Landscape photog of the year flies to the Flinders to test the XPro1. Posts a few images to his blog and to flickr, a short intro video, and then: 8 days of NOTHING.

No answers to any camera related questions. (barely any answers to ANY questions), No followup to the comment on your blog that you were going to try the video next.

What is this, a Fuji orchestrated tease session? Why’d you even bother?

That’s annoying :(

Mike

25. Milo Moskover says:

Will you please post more pics from the X-Pro1? Please post RAW pics in addition to jpegs. I think many people are patiently waiting!

26. Andrea says:

Thank you very much for your posting. I still have my doubts about AF-speed, but otherwise it seems like a promising camera. BTW: I like the before/after pictures of the landscapes, as they clearly demonstrate what I am always talking about: RAW isn’t the FINAL image! Most photographers should have some kind of look in mind, when shooting raw. At least I think so …

27. looks stunning..Thanks for sharing