More from Wyadup Rocks

23 Feb 2009 at 4:29am

wyadup-rocks-3 Another from that spectacular sunset the other weekend. It’s all about the light, don’t bother trying to make it up in photoshop, light like this is pretty hard to replicate. Taken with the 5D 2 as per usual. I don’t use my pano head anymore, in fact I have sold it. Wish I had saved myself the money. I didn’t know that I could get away with stitching without one though. Hope you like!

1. Another very nice image Christian … Thats 3 of us now that have done away with Panoheads …

Must of been a very special night with that gorgeous light … I have a feeling tonight may produce something nice as well.

2. Dave Catley says:

Beautiful image Christian, love the reflection in the water 🙂

I’ve been doing alot more stiched images lately, never did get a pano head thank goodness.

If you want a real challenge try doing one of those 360 panoramic images of the inside of your gallery, that would be an awesome addition to your web site.

3. yeah you don’t really need them hey. There are no clouds down here at the moment but tell me you got out Sunday morning?

4. merv french says:

Nice shot, a yep from me. I like it better than the other one, but I didn’t get as carried away with the comments this time.

If you ever decide you want a pano head again,I can get you one pretty cheap.

Pete and I went out early Sat morning in Freo and the sky was pretty bland. I slept in Sunday morning after your show on Sat night and I was peed off when I did get up and see the sky, it was preety good.

Ah well there will be other skys but exhibition openings don’t happen every day.

5. Ric says:

Hi Christian congrats on the success over the weekend – really good to hear. Why did you do away with your pano head? I’ve recently asked myself a couple of times what you might have done for a pano head now that you use the 5D Mark II seeing as though your 360 precision head was custom built for a 1Ds using whatever prime lens you specified (i.e. 50mm). I thought perhaps you got another head custom built but I’m very surprised to now hear that you’re not using one at all… I think there’s no noticeable affects when shooting from a far distance but for close-up objects that appear in the frame would parallax (ghosting) problems not be a problem if the entrance to the pupil of your lens is not correctly positioned? Seems like I’m missing something as it appears you’re not the first to give pano heads the boot. Thanks for your time in advance.

Cheers,

Ric

6. jamiepatersonphotography says:

Hi Christian,

You’re just teasing me with all these Wyadup shots now. I never bothered buy a panohead. My pretend wife and son are heading down this weekend but unfortuntely I can’t.

Jamie Paterson

7. Matt Lauder says:

Another top shot. I too have done away with the 360 precision panno head. With the new camera in the bag now I’m glad I dont have to carry that chunk of metal around anymore.

8. it’s just not fair you get to shoot places like this… :-p
    bloody nice. think my fav is still the previous one you posted.
    pretty hard to top that one in my mind though!

9. The video guy says:

Where is the bloody video??????????

10. Rod Thomas says:

awesome shot Christian… who would not like it… amazing ! !

11. Leigh says:

Fine image Christian.

I’m surprised that the pano head isn’t worth the bother. With the small amount of DSLR stitching I’ve tried in PS CS4, I still encountered weirdness at the seams, even when shooting with a level tripod. It’s ok with smooth sand or sky but if there is lots of detail like a fence or building, the details don’t join up perfectly. Sounds like you don’t have that problem?

12. I prefer the other one but this is still extremely stunning, such fantastic light. Must have been an amazing afternoon

And I agree, whenever people laugh and say “can’t you just photoshop it to make it look like a sunset” I always say “garbage in garbage out…there’s no substitute for special light!”

13. Mark Griffin says:

Great shot – again, and well done with the launch of you exhibition. How long is it on for in Mandurah?

14. Haydn says:

great shot again christian. You are a good salesman for the 5DII. Did you use any filters?? 50mm?

15. I’ll keep it in mind Merv

Ric, I just tried doing it without and it worked. Sold the 360 and haven’t looked back. Most of my shots are taken from a distance so the stitching isn’t an issue. I don’t think anything less than a 50mm is that great for stitching anyway so you have to get back a bit.

Too bad Jamie, you can relax in Perth!

Matt what about stitching with the 1Ds?

Leigh, I use a L shaped bracket from Manfrotto that allows you to mount the camera almost over the nodal point when portrait.

Your right Flemming, it is what makes the biggest difference.

Mark it is on till the 8th of March.

Haydn I used my Lee ND Grads with the 50mm lens.

16. Cain Doherty says:

wow, such an incredible glow and reflection in this