Ok, alright so it’s another Photomatix Creation

23 Nov 2009 at 7:44am

This one was two images worked initially in Photomatix and then tweaked in Photoshop. Now the problem is I am just pushing sliders around trying to make it look cool but not really knowing what I am doing. I will try to understand the process a little better as I get time. This is a shot from way back, just waiting for the right time to be bought to life. Now the secret to good hdr images I think is fixing all the problems with them after in photoshop. What Photomatix does is give you a good base image to work with, from there the images can go in any direction. It’s all about knowing what direction that is! Hopefully not backwards. I think where people are having problems is leaving the images straight out of Photomatix and not doing more work in Photoshop to stylize them. Still this look is what I have wanted to find for ever. Now everything I look at I wonder how it would look Tone Mapped.

Some of these are not too bad at all.

Not bad for someone who once said HDR was not worth the paper it was printed on.

Is this the next reincarnation of Fletch ?

I like the concept but it looks like the bands across the right trunk are from the clouds behind. It’s a dramatic image though.

3. Peter Hodgson says:

Looks like you getting the hang of it Fletch, sliding the sliders that is…. Good fun ah.

4. truenorthmark says:

Keep a learnin boy…coz you have some teachin to do!

5. How you going to merge you HDR tutorial with your rendition of the Love Boat theme song on OZ day??

6. wayte27 says:

I agree with Mark, if you dont know what you are doing how the hell am I going to know what the hell Im doing. I thought that pushing sliders left or right was the essence of photography and a knowledge of photoshop 🙂
    When you have a moment have a look at my HDR effort, no photomatix here just a lot of slider action !

Adrian

7. davidsobik says:

My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.

Well thats how I see it anyway!

Great job again Mr. Fletcher.

Cheers

David

8. Antonio says:

Hey Christian I will agree that HDR is awesome you can get some great results!! There is a slight halo effect on the bottom of the tree is that from photomatix or working in photoshop?

9. Matt Lauder says:

Mate this one is the best so far. I agree Photomatix HDR needs processing in Photoshop, sometimes alot. Most of the time it works best when blended in with a normal non HDR image.

10. Luke Austin says:

I am yet to really have an in depth play with photomatix. Once you have mastered it you can fill us all in 🙂
    To be honest there are only a few occasions that I have been impressed with the result. I think if used selectively throughout an image you get the best of both worlds. In my eyes anyway.
    The images you have played with so far seem a little “blotchy”. For example in this image the tree trunk has dark areas as well as much lighter areas. Is this intentional in post production or just a result of photomatix?

11. Unsure about this tone mapping etc. It seems to be it is only good for inanimate subjects – anything that moves simply ghosts etc. Have you found a solution to this Christian.

cheers

boyd

12. Dylan Fox says:

pretty cool, dramatic stuff!
    saw one of your prints in fitzies today! That gorge one that is like 30 some photos… looks good!

13. Donelle says:

Okay I like this piccie! Now for something totally off topic, Im looking to buy a new camera, I have a 350D and need to upgrade. Any suggestions??
    Cheers
    Nell

14. what do you like to shoot Nell??

15. Boyd no solutions yet mate, with moving stuff you need to tone map the single image.

Hi Dylan, the one I have in my gallery on Cansons rag is fantasticles, the detail is mind blowing and sharp as you know what.

16. Donelle says:

I mainly take pics of my kids and Im always the one taking pics at partys etc.. It gets a workout every year at the V8’s. I love taking landscapes though, when I get the time. Which with 3 kids aint that often, but I love it when I do!! How much do you want for the 40D Merv???