My thoughts on the Nikon D3x

22 Feb 2010 at 8:39pm

Well, I have been under the influence of some strange chemical in recent months and one of those is found in the latest DSLRs from Nikon. I have had the pleasure of using both the D3s and the D3x as well as some kick arse Nikon lenses. What did I really think of Nikon???

I started a Nikon man, well I was probably still a boy back then, and once again I have been tempted by the black and gold. To say I was blown away would be pretty close to the mark. Now, I am comparing those two bodies to the 5D2 so it isn’t a real fair comparison. They are both way more expensive. You get what you pay for right? But if I had the money and didn’t care about HD video I would own both. My mate Tony Hewitt has both and all the good lenses and his work glows. Ok you can get a similar result from the 5D2 but it just isn’t as good in my opinion. I found the files from the D3x were pretty stunning. Noise handling wasn’t brilliant but then it wasn’t supposed to be. The D3s on the other hand kills everything else even the new 1D mark IV, which strangely enough not many people are talking about. I guess we are waiting for a 1Ds mark IV with a bigger chip and full 1080p video. But it isn’t all about the bodies, the Nikon lenses are brilliant. I have only used the zooms but man they are good. I would love to have a crack at the 105mm.

So should we all sell up out Canons and go Nikon?? Well if they dropped the prices and bought out a D700s or x then maybe we should. Will Canon try to bring out something to kill any Nikon available, probably. Should we forget the lot and go medium format digital, hang the expense! Definitely.

Anyone care to borrow me $70,000.

I have had a good dose of Nikonite, a strange hallucinogenic compound found in Nikon glass and Nikon bodies. My mind might be fried but I am enjoying the ride.

p.s. the problems with the nikon is some button functionality and no sensor vibration to clean the dust off. The D3x was dirty but still sexy. Canon wins on that front. I hear you can set the Nikon up to operate like a Canon, I’m pretty used to the differences now so it isn’t a problem anymore.

Thanks to the two Julies at Nikon and the crew at Team Digital for getting the gear to me.

1. Steve says:

Christian, my mate Tony Sweet converted me from a Canon guy to a Nikonian and I haven’t regretted it at all. I didn’t (and still don’t) have much money so I purchased a straight used D3 and a used 17-35 f/2.8 and I tell you, that is a kicker setup! I was fortunate in that I was able to sell my Canon gear for far more than I anticipated and was able to pay off my credit card for my Nikon equipment.
    As far as dirt and dust, that’s just an occupational hazard (excepting cyanide dust).

2. I guess it is all leap frogging technology. The 1Ds Mrk IV is just around the corner … Elizabeth Carmel is raving about the Hasselblad H4D-40 megapixel … Not for the ultra hi ISO but she has been shooting handheld at 800 iso and they look sensational. Her 10 image stitch of Tahoe is insane. Also starting to hear rumors about the 5D Mrk III early 2011 …

3. David Sobik says:

It’s nice to hear unbiased views Christian. Your gallery is full of Canon imagery and they sell. But the Nikon stuff is so sweet atm why not. Hey if you were a plumber you would need a new $50k ute every few years not to mention tools and all that jazz.

Our tools are cheap in comparo to other trades. I often look at my little nest egg thats going to replace my ageing D2Xs and think I should pay a bit off the house but only a few weddings and market days and its paid back.

Dead for a long time I say!

David

4. Dave Catley says:

One thing I would hate to lose after getting my 5D Mk II would be the vibrating sensor, it seems like such a little thing but when I compare the Mk II images with the original 5D the lack of dust spots saves so much time processing the images.

5. David Sobik says:

In the D3s brochure it says it has a sensor cleaner vibrating at different frequencies when its turn on, off or manual. Maybe this has been a sneaky upgrade that we did not hear about?

6. Hi Christian,

I’ll lend you $70k for a cut of the profits. 😉

Jamie

7. Interesting Review, It does sound like Nikon have the edge at the moment which would have been a suprise 4 years ago but it seems they got there act together, Still holding out for the 1ds which should be a sweet camera, the h4d-40 looks like a sweet camera too if you have the cash!

8. Lisa says:

I recently bought a Nikon D3S and love it! Check it out, this video was made using it http://vimeo.com/9450557

9. Luke Austin says:

Good to hear your review Christian. I made the leap a couple of months ago and got myself the D3X. Expensive, yes. I am happy I started out as a Nikon user and for the time being will continue to do so. Who knows exactly what is around the corner, and what we will all be using in another 5 years or so. Exciting stuff.

10. Jasmin says:

It all seems like a big hoo-haa to me! I dont think it comes down to the brand name (though I do LOVE my 5dM2!) but rather what suits your shooting style and area of photography. If we all jumped ship when the latest and greatest came along then we’d be swapping brands every 6 months! Nikon may be acing the noise and sharp lenses at the moment but how long will it take for Canon to bring out something better (weren’t we all amazed when the 5dM2 came out with HD video and amazing high ISO!?).

11. maybe Nikon will get thier act together with the D4–dust removal and better buttons….maybe I can get past my old D350 soon…..haha shot with F2 and F2as nikormat ft2 …..for years, think Canon has great products but…..the Dark side calls….
    Thanks for your informative insights to actually using these high end DSLR’s…
    cheers,