Phase One – see for yourself

24 Mar 2010 at 9:45pm

Yallingup Beach

Yallingup Beach

I think photographing with a camera like the Phase One has given me the spark I needed to get back into shooting. I can’t wait for the day to start so I can go out and shoot, or should that be reshoot all my favourite locations. The P65+ is proving to be better than I could have imagined and at last I know what it must have been like to shoot 8″x10″ film. Not every image is a winner and you have to make sure your technique is spot on. I am having to focus stack to get the depth of field I want which is new to me after having so much depth of field with the DSLR’s. Still the extra effort is worth it and it has made me slow down and concentrate on the image.

Anyway you can’t get a very good idea how good this baby is until you give it a go for yourself. Have a word to Benny or Trev at Team Digital if you are serious about getting into this sort of gear. It will blow your mind.

Now have a look at this portrait of a very good looking fellow! Ok so I couldn’t find a model for the TNFP shirt. Hey the camera even has a self timer so you can shoot yourself as many times as your ego can cope with, mine got up to about 50 shots! Have a look at the 100% crop. That is all man, er I mean camera! The detail is astounding and if anyone out there would like a copy of this for their wall let me know, I can overlay a target so it would be awesome as a dart board. This is the ultimate weapon for a photographer, maybe Peter Eastway was right all along……………… nah!!

Christian Fletcher

Christian Fletcher

1. Donelle says:

Good to see your got your old spark back, not that I thought you ever lost it!! lol Nice shot too by the way – the one of the trees I mean! lol

2. haha year the trees look pretty good too Donelle.

3. Good to see that you have found that spring back in your step mate!

Congrads on the 500,000 hits as well, that is some milestone!

4. Ian.I says:

Hey Christian,

I can really see the benefits of this beast they call a camera. You could crop the hell out of anything and still have a file thats big as my d300 😉 Yowzah!!!

ill stay away from all the bad jokes about your looks 😉 I have mirrors ay my house and i know im one ugly bastard so dont wont to be a hypocrite 😉

the lighting you used is pretty cool mate by the way. it looks like you used a softbox. am i right??

Just enlarged the shot of your head ( no idea why ) and now I’m up for a new screen for the inlaws as it just smoked itself. Lucky we are in NZ as they are still using B&W tube screens and they are cheap.

i was in a gallery in Arrowtown and they had heard of you, but I put them straight on a few things. 🙂

6. Steve says:

Yes, I’m jealous.

However, I’ll trade the experience of living in Australia for a year, footloose and fancy-free, for the price of one of those Phase Ones. FYI, Kevin Raber, who is VP of Marketing for Phase One in the States and an acquaintance of mine, will be Down Under in December in the Uluru area for a Phase One workshop. However, you’ll see us at Freycinet with you and Nick, mate.

Life is for living to the fullest and we aim to do so! Now, let me get back to my Bundy and Coke.

7. Peter says:

The dynamic range in the two images you have shown is quite impressive. Shadow detail is all there. How forgiving is it to over and under exposure?

8. Hi CF,

Thanks for your “Things to look at” answer. Much appreciated and your analogy of moving from compact to Dslr is understood.
    What do you mean by “Focus Stack”? You imply that the Phase one does not give you depth of field, I find that incredible, so what do you mean?
    As far as the extra effort goes, from what I have read on resolution and dynamic range alone, you no longer have to stitch and you don’t have to get as near to the subject as once you might and you don’t have to compose as well because you can crop later. It seems it is more of a camera for us retirees, who want to take it easy.

I had only considered this sort of camera for the likes of fashion photography but I think that I may be understanding what it can do for landscapes now.

But, at the end of the day…..at what price. $17,000 upwards is way out there!
    Perhaps I’ll get a slikpik this weekend.

Pension in hand, I recently spent a whopping $150 by adding a “BigStopper” filter (10 stop glass ND) to my Lee collection. Amongst its attributes, it renders all forms of ocean to a milkpond at any time of day, which is quite useful as it makes it easier for me to stitch my ocean panoramas.

Cheers

9. Hmmm I think the photo is actually of Michael. Isn’t supposed to be the better looking of you two?

10. Kym says:

Good to see you back Christian! Thought we’d lost you for a day there, hehe!!! Nice portrait, but you forgot to shave your chin! Whats with that??? I really like the new format, I think it will be a winner, can’t wait to see more……….

11. André says:

Awesome resolution and dynamic range! Not being familiar with medium format, what is the reason behind the need for focus stacking? Looking forward to seeing you shoot with this camera at Karigini.

12. Tim Wootton says:

Great quality images for sure Christian but at that price i think I”l have to stick with my 400D for a while longer!
    Looking forward to seeing the results!

13. Matt Lauder says:

You look very Metro Sexual.

14. Antonio Ranieri says:

That goatie has me mate!!!

15. Jules Campbell says:

The image (s) look fabulous CF !!

16. Jules Campbell says:

Wow is that a plane I can see in the clouds ???

17. bloody sharp! so much detail too, I noticed the plane too you could probably see the pilot at 100% lol.

18. Andrew Brown says:

Congrats on the 1/2 Mil hits mate and your new found vigor with the beast. Seriously metro sexual portrait, sitting right up there with one T.Putt.

19. yep it was a plane!!

The DOF on these big sensors isn’t as good as the dslrs so I need to take between 3 and 5 shots and blend in photoshop or do it through Helicon Focus.

To be compared with the great Tom Putt is a compliment Andrew, I’m more countrosexual, be careful with that spelling too mate! haha.

Kym I have had the goatee for ever, don’t you pay attention? Don’t make me threaten to sack you again!! hehe

20. Matt Saul says:

What do you think of helicon focus christian? ive had a play with it and its pretty cool, or do you prefer to just do it more selectively in photoshop with masking?
    awesome shots btw! i think i look better in my iTNFP shirt though!…

21. Cathy says:

I was going to be happy with a 5D Mark II until I stumbled upon this…. just amazing!