Back From the Desert

31 May 2010 at 7:45pm

Rudall River National Park

Hi everyone

Just returned home from what was an amazing shoot in the heart of the east Pilbara. Myself, Les Walkling, Peter Eastway, Tony Hewitt, Michael Fletcher, Larry Mitchell, William Fox and our guide Tim Acker drove about 300kms inland from Newman to check out the Rudall River National Park now called Karlamilyi National Park and to spend some time with the local Parnngurr aboriginal community. We were lucky enough to have access to the community and to be able to photograph the artists and teach the local kids a thing or two about photography. It was an amazing experience and we all agreed that the land has a hold on us in an almost spiritual way. It is hard to describe unless you have been there. It is so remote and so surprising I’m sure I will be going back.

The park sits on the boundary between the Great Sandy and Little Sandy Deserts and if you decide to go you have to be self sufficient. There is no fuel, food or medical help available. A great place to go and get bitten by a snake, we actually saw a Death Adder on our first day photographing around Newman. A guide is recommended and we were lucky to have a great one in Tim who  was a great cook to boot.

I have lots more stories to tell from this trip so will gesticulate more in coming posts. Oh and BTW, it is not good to be home to the real world!

1. Dan Proud says:

Hey CF sensational shot!!

I wondered what happened to the blog for a few days there!

I’ve splashed around out that way myself a couple of times , It’s a great part of the world and very hard to leave, and the best thing is you don’t see anyone else for days or weeks if you want to.

3. i’d just like to say thanks for not letting us know every 2 seconds that you’re out in a magnificent part of the world- rubbing it in while we’re all stuck at work 😛 haha

great shot, love it. sums up the Pilbara perfectly.

4. Michelle says:

Amazing photo Christian, the lighting is great.

5. mattinman says:

Nice one Fletch, great capture, looking forward to some more images from your latest trip.

6. Can I come next time? 🙂 Sounds quite magical, would absolutely love to go up there! look forward to more images and stories – bet the Death adder was after the Phase!

7. Matt Lauder says:

There are some great places up there. I grew up in Newman from year 6 to year 10 before I got shipped off to boarding school in Geraldton. You can drive on the highway up there for hours and not see anyone in either direction.

8. André says:

Lovely image Christian, are you sure you didn’t bring Karijini clouds with you 😉 ? I read up a bit on that NP, sounds like an amazing place and having a guide and also access to the Aboriginal communities would have made it that much more special.

Looking forward to more photos and stories.

9. Andrew Brown says:

Sounds and looks magnificent. Maybe you have another workshop location….

10. Nigel Sparg says:

Hi KIller, did you get my mail about Namibia, we have a lot ot talk about. looks like you guys had a bit of fun. just upgraded my old 5D for a new 5Dmk2. so keen to get some great landscapes.
    regards
    Nigel

11. Darrienne says:

Where’d you get those clouds from? It’s been clear, blue skies in Newman for so long. Guess we’ve only got another 4 months of it!!

So glad you got to interact with the locals and learn about country. Very jealous!!

12. Tom Putt says:

Im not seeing those clouds with that light on the trees…73!

I’m warming up for the weekend…

13. Welcome back Cotter!

14. David Sobik says:

Nice one CF. Thought you must of been in hiding!

15. Love the ghost gums out there and in this one CF. It would be great to see some more work from you out that way as I recall reading about it years ago in an AG mag.
    btw – lol @ Tommy P

16. Tom Putt says:

Actually, it’s looking a bit soft…

Was this shot on the Phase??? I’d be getting it checked out 😉

17. Luke Austin says:

Sounds like an incredible experience Christian.
    Clouds dropped in or not, it’s a beautiful image.