Rudall River Sunrise

8 Jun 2010 at 3:46pm

Karlamilyi National Park

I have decided to head off in another direction to see where it takes me. I am always inspired by paintings done by the masters and have been trying to get that painterly feel for ages. I think this image has its place, possibly not in my gallery for sale but in my own private collection of work that interests me. Maybe they could be one offs, maybe they will get binned after a week. I might wake up tomorrow and wonder what the hell I was thinking. Still it is a path I must take and at the moment the exploration is pretty fun. My wife gave me the thumbs up on this one, I suspect Merv might give me a big NUP.

This was in the Karlamilyi national park and Les and I nicknamed it “Jurassic Park”. If only we had some aboriginals camped under a tree or a swagman to add to the feel of the image. I think the only thing moving around out there was Peter Eastway, if you look real hard you might see him. Talk about where’s Wally?

1. Matt Lauder says:

Yea this is very nice mate… a definite winner thats for sure. Would look amazing large and framed on a wall.

2. I think it needs to be seen large and in print to test the painterly quality, it’s an effect I feel doesn’t always come off that well on the web. I really like the foreground and colours of the rock but he sky looks weird. It may look great in print, but in a small web version here it just looks..off somehow 🙂

3. Antonio Ranieri says:

I don’t mind the look CF

Well ……… it’s a yep from me , i love it.

I’ve seen this style many times before, mainly they are European country scenes or castles which don’t really grab me but i’ve liked the style.

You have used it to great effect on this aussie shot and it really grabs me.

Great stuff mate, a winner.

I like the look – some of the old masters’ landscapes weren’t particularly large either and I think that the smaller size lends itself to a compression of tonal variations that perhaps leads to the painterly feel.

I’d normally be in favour of cloning Mr Eastway out of a photo but since Jurassic Park was full of old fossils it’s probably better that you left him in 😉 .

6. I don’t mind the style at all. I think the image is slightly dark overall, but the painterly style is nice. I’m with Flem, I think it may need to be scene in print rather than on the web to get a real feel for it.

7. Pete Hodgson says:

Looks great CF, Just my opinion but it’s a little bit more realistic than some of the more recent pics I’ve seen. Certainly got a nice feel to it and it even looks like a classic.

8. Christian Fletcher says:

Thanks for the comments fellas, I am going to work on it a bit more tomorrow, mainly the sky, might add a hint of painterly clouds. I think this will go on canvas and I am thinking a gloss varnish that will be thick and built up in layers to get an oil painting feel.
    Muzz you always crack me up, have to send that comment to Pete.

9. Thumbs up Christian!

10. Tom Parkes says:

Print it on Canvas and with a little Albert Namatjira in the bottom right corner and your set.

11. Christian this is right up my alley
    It actually makes you look at the picture for a long time and appreciate its vastness and detail, I finding I’m not just glancing at it for a second.
    Absolute winner in my book!
    Well done.

12. Beautiful mate…follow your passion bud…it has taken you this far and I am sure it won’t let you down on this next journey!

13. A+. Looks like you will be somewhat surprised with all the positive feedback. Would look great printed up big.

14. Tom Putt says:

(said in a thick Russian accent…) “Oh Christian! I LOOOOOVVVVEEEE IT! You are such a hunk of a man!

AND THIS PHOTO?!!??

Oh, I WANT IT!

I WANT YOU!”

15. Steve says:

Fletch, it is a winner! It must look really good BIG!

16. Nigel Sparg says:

(AAaaH! mutter in a thick russian undertone) “Tom ! I bet you say that to all the boys…! (lol)

17. Hazel says:

Not easy to re create an old master especially without a brush. They tended to get the colours spot on like your earlier well known photographs. Have a look at Turner or Constable or Leonardo da Vinci, or …… so many to choose from and so many different subjects covered.
    I also think it doesn’t do justice to the unique landscape we have here in Australia as Albert Namatjira pictures did.

To me this is beautifully composed with a little intriguing path leading to ………but a little too dark and artificial looking.

I bet the original Fletcher is better. Show us

18. Tanya says:

Love it. Think it would look great in the gallery…or on my wall :o)