Landscape 500 Awards

28 Jul 2010 at 3:07pm

People have been asking me for more details of the competition and when it is going to be launched. Well like all good things they take time. One question was what are the images you can enter?

I will accept any landscape image that contains man made elements such as cars, buildings, wharves, planes etc as features within that landscape. I will accept urban landscapes, streetscapes, seascapes, animals, closeups of the landscape, skyscapes and so on as long as the landscape is the more dominant feature. A closeup of a flower or a bird, however would not be considered eligible to enter. A portrait of a person is ok as long as it is an environmental portrait not a close up of a face. A wedding shot can also be included if the bride and groom are not looking at the camera and smiling but are a small speck in the background. In the end we all shoot different things and not always a straight landscape. The AIPP has a category for these images and they call it Illustrative. Well that just about includes everything we shoot! Confused! Don’t be, just think hard about what you are entering. In the end we won’t be that harsh with what gets in, just don’t enter something that is obviously not a landscape in the broad confines of this competition!!

Anyway it’s my comp and I make the rules right?

I expect the competition to go on-line some time next week. That gives you this weekend to get out and shoot that scene you have always wanted to get but couldn’t find a good enough reason.

The photos that will win this competition will be perfect in every way, composition, exposure, colour, contrast. All the elements needed to make a great photo. Most of all it needs to be something that will make the judges go WOW. I have done a bit of on-line judging now and you can get pretty frustrated with simple errors that will make or break an image. Things like, a crooked horizon, I never have those!, dust spots, filled in blacks, blown highlights. If you have any of these things go back and rework it. This is not just a competition it is a lesson in how well you can present your image and a benchmark to see where your work stands against other photographers. Competitions are fun and the excitement of winning a prize is actually usually better than the prize. When I was a top 10 finalist in the Hasselblad Masters Awards I just about wept I was so happy. I am a bit of a girl though!! All I got for that was a certificate but that hangs in my gallery and is my most treasured award to date.

More details to come, in the mean time the image below would be considered eligible to enter.

1. Dan Proud says:

Thanks for the info. I’m keen to find out if I’m allowed to enter though! Photography is part of my job, but I don’t think I made 20g last year. I spend most of my life in front of a computer building websites… I certainly don’t rate myself as a professional yet, just a wannabe! What do you reckon CF? Surely I can squeeze in with Flemming!

2. Ian.I says:

Hey Christian,

The image i was going to submit is similar to this, infact of the same location. In no way did i copy this mate honest. Enuff sucking up ;~) Can i still submit? Here is the photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/29330725@N02/4229510264/. Nothing is original around sydney. Every strand of grass and every grain of sand on our beaches has been done. just when you think you have something original out comers this ;~)

Ian.

3. Dan your in, Ian your in and I have seen your pic before, I was thinking, bugger it has been done by someone else! and yes this image would be accepted into the comp for sure.
    Matt I think you know you can’t submit, next year I’ll have a pro section, prize is you get to teach me cool stuff for a day!

4. Tim Wrate says:

I haven’t earned a cent from photography, nor have I got a shot from La Parouse… can I enter? haha

5. you might be over qualified Tim!!

6. Justine Amps says:

Do you have a rough idea of when the comp will close?

7. matt saul says:

love that shot you put in the post,,has a real eastway feel!.
    I think you should limit the entries to a specific number per person, rather than unlimited as long as they are in groups of 3. You mention that the photos will have to be perfect in every way etc, so I think if you limit it to a specific number per person you will really see the best from everyone, instead of people filling extra entries to increase there chances of winning. There just my thoughts though,..its your competition after all !!!

8. Jerome says:

Hi christian,

Awesome initiative, love it ! Good on you guys.

Could you share a bit more info on the format you would expect the photos to be in when uploaded/sent? I would love to participate, but I don’t have access to my photos / photoshop when at work (i might not be able to upload anything either). Looking at the incredible community you have here, I’d expect the entries to go like hot cakes, so it would be great to be able to prepare in advance . . .

Can’t wait to see what will come out of this, its going to be crazy . . . they are some incredible photographers down here.

J-

9. Darrienne says:

As someone who has jsut started a business and is still in the red, do I classify as a professional or can I enter?

Will bribery work?

I see the AIPP definition of a professional photographer is someone who has earned more than $5000 in a year from photography. Kinda like a guy who has built a backyard BBQ is a qualified builder.

11. Geoff Pritchard says:

Woo hoo!! mines in!!.

Must say, its a great comp!, good idea!

12. Thanks Geoff, good luck mate.