The Government Set to Steal James Price Point

3 Sep 2010 at 6:37am

Of course they know what is best for us and the environment! I’m heading to JPP and should be there by the start of October. I am driving up with the family so we can all see it before it is ruined. I hope to come home with some nice photos of the place. It is one part of the Kimberley Coast you can get to easily. If you want to see more you need to go by boat or Helicopter. So now this “unremarkable place” is going to be even more “unremarkable” thanks to a big polluting gas plant. Why can’t they ship the gas to Dampier? Can someone tell me? There has to be a good reason right, it can’t be the cost, surely not? That would be minuscule compared to the money they will make from the project. Does anyone in the government really believe that a huge gas plant won’t cause any environmental damage? Am I wrong thinking it will? Hey I’m no expert, but I guess the government has unbiased environmental groups providing them with the relevant information, right? Do you really think Barnett looks at himself in the mirror? I do when I’m brushing my teeth! And does he really sleep at night knowing the environment won’t be harmed in any way? I guess he must or he would be making stupid decisions every day! Phew, one thing I am glad about is all the extra tourism it will bring to Broome, hang on, I mean fly in fly out workers! Sorry they aren’t tourists, they are there to work. I think some big high rise buildings along Cable beach would be perfect to house everyone. I love that look! It is a shame that the price for the tourist to stay in Broome will go up too, just like in Port Hedland and Karratha. So hang on who is going to win from this? Well I guess we all will, well some of us, maybe just a few. Hey I would be buying some Woodside shares right about now, imagine how much money you could make! Hey don’t feel bad about the gas plant, it’s just a few small acres of land and the 20,000 odd whales zipping by every year can just go have a baby somewhere else. They don’t own the ocean you know, they just lease it off us, we own it and we can screw it how ever we want. Whales are overrated anyway, tourist don’t want to see them, they prefer oil slicks and industrial oblivion. Hey I for one think this is a brilliant idea,go for it premier, youdaman! Lets see what you have done so far.

Barnett believes that if Western Australia handed over 30% of the only GST revenue it receives it could eventually lead to the federal government being able to acquire 100% of the state’s GST revenue. There’s that word again, acquisition! No you can’t do that, that wouldn’t be fair.

In October 2004, Barnett led a campaign to re-criminalise homosexuality for anyone under the age of 18. Phew, for a minute there I thought Tommy would have to put his Pink feather boa away!

In October 2009, Barnett announced a series of new policies relating to drug legislation including a repeal of the Cannabis Control Act 2003. The previous laws were formulated by Geoff Gallop’s drug summit, taking input from experts such as academics, police, social workers, lawyers, medical professionals and members of the public. Barnett has stated it is his intention to overturn these laws because of HIS BELIEFS and stated that the drug summit members made a mistake introducing them and that cannabis was a “gateway drug”. To help with the enforcement of this new policy, Barnett also supported legislation to give police the power to search and seize property without any suspicion or belief that a crime has been committed. A Liberal parliamentarian, Peter Abetz, voiced support for these laws in parliament by drawing reference to the work Adolf Hitler did to bring security to Nazi Germany. Barnett stood by Abetz’s statements, saying he was making a valid point. Haha what a beauty, security to Germany but not to the rest of the world!

At the 2005 state election, Barnett, proposed the construction of a canal from the rivers of the Kimberley Ranges in northern Western Australia to Perth to meet Perth’s growing water supply problem. The proposal was costed by Barnett at AUD $2 billion, however it soon emerged that no feasibility study or detailed costings had been done. Some experts put the cost as high as AUD $5 billion. Oopsy, that was a bit of a blunder!! So he does his own calculations. Hang on, does he do his own environmental studies too? Hmmm, nah surely not!

Don’t panic people, we are in safe hands!

1. It’s only going to get worse mate if we don’t stand up & say something!!

2. Dan Proud says:

I just read this in another article…

“I think there will be no conflict between shipping and whales, and by moving the plant well away from the major calving area, I don’t believe there will be any impact,” he said. (Barnett)

So.. ‘HE THINKS’ there will be no impact. Sounds like they are fully aware of the impact, but are deciding to do it anyway. I don’t have a lot of confidence in this guy or his team. I guess if you are the premier, ignorance is bliss!

3. Tim Wootton says:

Politicians have forgotten that they are there to govern for the people. these days politics trumps good governance.
    It’s all about MONEY,POWER & INFLUENCE!! Environment, and the people who actually care about the world we live in don’t count these days.
    Develop at all costs and make more profit is the mantra of politics!

4. Hey Mate.
    Have you heard about might eventually happen at the Horizontal Waterfall?
    Cheers
    Dave

5. Hey Mate

Go to http://www.pegasusmetals.com.au/admin/uploads/091012McLartyRangeASXfinal.pdf.

There is a very large copper deposit literally in the same ridge line as the Horizontal Waterfall. How Pegas is allowed to even explore so close to such an unique natural wonder is beyond me!!

James Price Point is just the tip of a very large iceberg mate!!

6. just read that. Who gives them the right to just go in and assume they can carve up the Kimberley. It is worse than I thought. I have been there and it is amazing. A mine there would be inconceivable. Is there no end to mans greed?

7. That is depressing news this early morning. I boggles my mind. I simply cannot believe how anyone can justify this, how can they deceive themselves and justify doing this? It is so unfair beyond belief. And Dave’s news about a copper mine is unbelievable, a mine at the horizontal waterfall.

Has the Australian landscape and the indigenous people not already suffered enough through stupid white fellas in charge? It is simply mindbogglingly depressing that the people in charge have learned nothing, there are seemingly no end to the stupidity here. Sorry, rant over.

I’ll be there in spirit beginning of October. Can’t be there in person as I have obligations here until the end of October. Although I am seriously considering burning those bridges too, might be there in person as well 🙂

8. You are totally right Christian…there is absolutely no reason why the gas could not be either piped down the coast or piped offshore to a floating platform…preferably down the coast where they have already carved it up beyond recognition.

The reason it won’t happen that way is simply money…it costs more to do that. Barnett could do the righty by everyone and give his 100% support to the project, provided the gas is piped down the coast and provided the impact to the Kimberley is kept to a minimum.

What we need is a QLD Government who fully recognise the importance of Tourism as they have little else to generate their taxes from…and do it well they do. The Great Barrier Reef is very much an example of what can be done with a great marketing campaign.

We have far better reefs in WA with the Abrohlis, Ningaloo and the Rowleys but our Government spends a pittance on supporting Tourism in WA because of the mining boom.

If our Department of Environment stood by its mandate, they would put a stop to the mining development of the Kimberley…instead they would rather make the True North carry tracking devices so that they can monitor everything we do…and yet we are the greenest operator on the West Coast!

If you are wondering why I haven’t said much before…its because I find myself fighting with these bureaucracies almost every day, who are run by people who do not have a commercial bone in their body and who would rather install another arse covering measure than to make a controversial decision like saving the Kimberley.

As I said before…Barnett’s Government can make a decision that will both see the gas development carry on and save the Kimberley…make the decision to pipe it mate!

For once…just once, I would like to see a Government with some real balls to do what is right!!!

9. Jamie Nicolaou says:

I’ve said it for a while now, scrap the failed HBI plant in Port Hedland and build the gas processing plant there, you can pipe the gas & condensate to the processing plant and have no impact on the Kimberley coastline.
    I just can’t understand why they would want to build it at James Price Point. Apart from the obvious environmental impact, but also the social impact on Broome.

10. Stephanie Hodgson says:

Finally. Its great to hear that not everyone in this state (WA) is pro (gas and) mining – digging it up and shipping it out !. James price point is a big one up north but down here in Margaret River we have a proposed coal mine and oil exploration off the coast. I’m so depressed by the whole thing I’m (almost) thinking of moving to New Zealand !. Currently there is a bill before the state parliment that will make applying for exploration licence’s (mining, gas, oil) and establishing new projects for easier, environmental impact studies, no we don’t bother with those!

11. Tim Wootton says:

Wrong ,wrong ,wrong! i have spent a lot of time at the Horizontal Falls and cannot believe they are considering exploration mining there!
    Bad enough that they have desecrated Cockatoo and Koolan Islands which are not far away from this unique area.
    Mining infrasructure here would be would be absolutely stupid and I am sure the Paspaley Pearl company would agree as they have a pearl farm in the vicinity.
    Any mining executive and politician who justifies these projects as being for the good of the community, blah,blah blah is full of it!!!

12. David Sobik says:

As I drove home from the Nedegate Field days I heard this on the news. Just could not believe what I was hearing.

This country is becoming so much a Government state with them just doing whatever they want. You just have to look at the election with voters saying stuff them all.

When I was sitting around the camp site at Karijini one old mate was telling me there is plans to mine the back side of the Hamersey Ranges. Might be a load of hot air, but hey look at JPP and they will do anything, unless we stop them.

13. Jasmin says:

Hey Christian. I received this link in an email and thought I’d share.

It is not so much from the environmental standpoint but it is certainly an alarming concern when the government considers acquiring land for their own monetary gains!

14. Kathryn says:

It is with interest that I was reading Holiday Planner 2010 Australias NorthWest. On the inside cover is a letter written by Hon Chris Ellison and within the body of the magazine is a picture of James price point as a place to visit. How then can the Govt say that it is not a tourist destination when they promote it as one.

15. thanks Jasmin.

Excellent investigative work Kathryn, lets see them get out of this one! well done.

16. Kathryn says:

Does anyone require a copy of this govt (North West tourism) magazine?

17. Wally from Wyndham says:

The answers to these questions can be found in Barnett’s recent compulsory acquisition attempt and it is even more horrific than you could have imagined!! The gas plant ‘pinprick’ is 3500 hectares, including 1000 hectares of ocean. So why is Barnett acquiring over 20,000 hectares?? He has made his big move. 20,000 hectares is required for the smelters to process the bauxite from Mitchell plateau. It is required to house the uranium processing plants from the proposed uranium mining in the Kimberley. It is for big industry to feed off the cheap source of energy from the gas plant. This is why they call it a gas ‘hub’. Barnett never entered into negotiations in true faith. He was always going to make a move for compulsory acquirement. Unfortunately the KLC has fallen into his trap. Be afraid!!

• Thanks for the info Wally, that is severely depressing news. I will donate all my Kimberley images and video if someone puts up a projector in front of Barnett’s house and shows them 24/7. Thing is, does not sound like he would care at all. My beloved Kimberley, I am from bloody Denmark and have done the Gibb three times that’s how special it is! Can’t believe if this whole area is going down the drain 🙁

18. Thanks for the heads up Wally, I have heard the total land area to be used is going to be huge.

19. Has worked with TOs says:

The fact is the Traditional Owners have voted FOR it (in a manner they would usually do) and thank goodness they have a say.
    I agree it will be a loss, but the TOs made a decision and if we all stood up sooner and addressed the real issue, inequality and huge disadvantages for indigenous on a day to day basis then they may not need to be so pragmatic about such proposals and use these agreements to try and get what they should be getting.
    If you knew the degree of poor health services, education services and resources (and whatever else you can think of) that indigenous communities throughout this state put up with, they may not be resigned to accepting such a deal.
    But the Woodsides and the Rios are putting money (big money) on the table and putting in place future funds, educational and employment plans.
    Our government and the people of WA know what is happening yet don’t jump and down about it.
    Don’t even mention the musicians who objected to it.

• I don’t believe all traditional owners have agreed to it. I know of the inequality of indigenous health, housing and education but isn’t that a problem that should be addressed without the owners having to give up their land for. It is their right to have these same things we take for granted. The mining companies are giving them a pittance over 30 years. It all sounds huge but according to my maths it equates to a little more than $80 per week for 30 years per person. Now tell me I’m wrong but I believe this to be the case. I don’t think that is generous at all.
      Now lets think about how mining has helped the indigenous population in the Pilbara! Nope doesn’t seem anything has improved there.
      Why is it so important to have the gas plant in the Kimberley? Money is the answer, not to make peoples lives better. I know for a fact the decision has been made purely because of money!

The sooner we all realise this is a plan to industrialise the rest of the Kimberley the sooner people will be outraged.

• Jamie Nicolaou says:

CF, I struggle to understand how the Traditional Owners voted for it. Were they all involved in the process?? They had a gun at pointed at their head anyway, with the threat, and it was a threat of compulsory acquisition. Intimidated much?? You only have to see how FMG handled the debacle in Roebourne.
        Barnett has let us all know it’s a “state” matter, not a Woodside matter, but we know what it’s about, if that makes sense?? It’s not just a gas hub, it’s an industrial precinct. It’s not just about gas, but copper, bauxite/alumina, etc. You could just imagine having an Alumina refinery up there, not to mention the yellow haze from the gas plant that will drift over Broome when the wind will travel in the right direction.
        I honestly can’t see why they couldn’t pipe it further south, to Port Hedland. There’s a massive white elephant down there, the HBI Plant, which could be demolished and the land used for an LNG plant. I’m not against development, but I have worked at the Karratha gas plant, and saw the mess that was made when land clearing started for Pluto. You can only imagine how many pieces of indigenous rock art got buried.

20. yep it was sign and get some of the money or we will take it and you get no money! they were railroaded.