Help needed for one of our own

16 Nov 2010 at 2:27pm

Just found out from Markie Stothard that Tony Middleton has had all his gear stolen. Read Marks post below

I am sure that the name Tony Middelton (Tone) is very familiar to you all and I have learned today via Andrew Brown’s blog that Tony had all of his gear stolen yesterday along with all of his back up drives and 10 years worth of images!

To say that he is gutted is an understatement!

I would like to do something to assist Tony to get back out there doing what he does best and Ben from Team Digital has agreed to offer a good price on the gear he has lost.

So I am asking everyone out there in blog land to put a donation to this account which I have set up purely for this appeal. Any and every donation will be much appreciated by Tony and I hope we can go someway towards replacing his kit.

Of course we can never replace the 10 years worth of kick butt images, but at least we might be able to get him up and running again and ease the pain a bit!

List of Tony’s Stolen Camera & Computer Equipment

CAMERA EQUIPMENT

Canon EOS 5D Mark II (Digital Camera)

Body No. 2764B014[AA], (21) 0230114578, (21) 01357319

Bar Code: 4 960999 629568

Serial No. 230114578

Distinguishing Features:

• Missing the rubber seal over the extension system terminal (HDMI) located on the bottom of the camera.  The Rubber seal is approx 1.5cm by 1cm black rubber seal.
  • Surface rust / corrosion on the metal hot shoe plate (where the flash goes) at the top of the camera.
  • Also wear and slight corrosion on lens mount and screws.

CAMERA

Fuji G617 / 105 / 1.8 Lens / Medium Format Panoramic Still Camera

Serial No. 6111459.

Distguishing Features:

• Bubble level on external lens protection bars broken / been broken – so that the level and its bar may be missing or patched.
  • Some screws on the corner of the camera housing are cracked.

CAMERA

Olympus, 1030SW 10mp Waterproof (10 metres) Underwater Digital Camera

Serial No. Unknown

Colour Silver

CAMERA LENS

1. Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L Series Lens As new
  2. Canon 17-40m f/4 L Series Lens Edge broken where filter screws in
  3. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Ex DG Lens Filter Size 77

Serial No:  0 085126310547

MANFROTTO 340 Elbow Bracket Customised threaded screw to hexagonal shaped mounting bracket.

NEUTRAL DENSITY FILTERS

1. 1 x Lee Neutral Density Filter Kit 1 x 0.3 , 1 x 0.6, 1 x 0.9

Lee Foundation Kit & 77mm wide angle adaptor ring.

1. Hoya 1 NDX 400 Very light scratches on glass surface.

Extremely dark black glass filter.

1. Hoya Circular Polariser Hoya pro digital 77mm diameter

Very slim line, high end professional filters / good condition / clear plastic case – or on one of the lenses.

CAMERA BAG Lowe Pro Nature Trekker AW II Camera Back Pack

STOP WATCH Timex Indigo Navy Ring Clip stop watch

Unusual shape: Oval with the a digital watch face across the centre.  Has an alarm that goes of twice a day that I do not know how to turn off, goes off mid afternoon and at night time – each day.

Navy blue & Grey

BATTERY PACK 2 x Genuine Canon LP – E6 Battery Pack for Canon 5D Mark II

BATTERY CHARGER Battery charger LC-E6E, See Serial No.s for Canon camera above. Some may match for the charger which came with the camera.

COMPACT FLASH MEMORY CARDS 2 x Sandisk Extreme 16GB Compact Flash Memory Cards

COMPACT FLASH MEMORY CARDS 2 x Sandisk Extreme IV Pro Compact Flash Memory Card, 8 GB

MEMORY CARD Can’t remember manufacturer – 32 GB

REMOTE CONTROL Chord for Canon 5D Mark II

COMPUTER EQUIPMENT

LAP TOP / 13” MACBOOK PRO / 250 GB Hard Drive / 2.53 GHz Processor

Serial No: W8929CT966E

Part No MB991X/A

Model No. A1278

Airport ID 002608DEFSF2

Blue Tooth ID 002608C3855A

Distinguishing Features:

• Silver Aluminum Casing
  • And stores 10 years worth of collected panoramic & landscape images from around Australia

IPOD NANO / 8GB

Labelled on the ends in Black Texta, individually:

• 2010 Pans 1
  • 2010 Pans 11
  • 2010 Raw 1
  • 2010 Raw 11
  • Time machine

Stores 10 years worth of collected images panoramic & landscape  from around Australia

2 x 500 GB, Western Digital USB Hard Drives

Colour: Silver Aluminum Cases (both).

Marked with black texta, individually:

• 2008
  • 2008 – 2009

Stores 10 years worth of collected images from around Australia

1 x 500 GB, Freecom USB Hard Drive

Aluminum Black Casing

Stores 10 years worth of collected panoramic & landscape images from around Australia

1 x 160GB, Western Digital Hard Drive

Silver Aluminum Casing

Black Texta, labeling:

– 2008

TOOLS AND OTHER GEAR

1 x Duo Fast Coil Nail Gun in Case Nail Gun – Silver and Blue

Brand New in Blue Case

1 x Makita Jigsaw in Case Sky Blue

1 x Rotary Masonry Drill in Case Drill – Grey

Case – Grey

1 x Professional Snorkel & Mask Clear and Purple Mask

Blue Snorkel

1 x Travel Back Pack – Tatonka 70 Litre Black and purple

Please keep an eye out and let myself or Tony Middelton know if you come across it on Ebay etc.

I have started an account where the donations can be put into, so if you are keen to support Tony, please email me at mark@northstarcruises.com.au and I will send you the account details.

Lets help Tone out, he is one of us and a great bloke to boot,…………………. unlike Merv, just kidding Merv, we would do the same for you in a heartbeat. I think several donations have been made already.

1. Dylan Fox says:

So fuckin unbelievable! MAKES ME SICK! I can honestly say i would be in tears if i were in tony’s shoes!
    I dont sell enough prints to make a living off it but if i did i would send some profits to tony! he needs it!
    I think next print i sell all profits will go to tony! I cant imagine the absolute pain!

2. mitchell burns says:

oh man! thats alot of stuff! the robbers would have been there for a while? someone must of saw something? probably pay to keep an eye out on eBay

i really feel sorry for you mr Middleton

3. Craig Spittles says:

I will definitely be helping Tony out. I hope the bastard that took his stuff gets his eyes pecked out by a rabid seagull. It’s also making me reconsider backing my images up offsite/online as well, I looked into it recently and it’s a hefty cost per year but compared to the cost of losing everything I think it’s justifiable. My heart goes out to Tony and I think it’s a great thing that Mark has put in place to help him out. i am sure any support would be greatly appreciated.

4. matt saul says:

That is heartbreaking!!, there must be some sort of professional tracker guy out there that specialises in finding stolen things? WIth that much unique gear being stolen, some must pop up somewhere and im sure there are guys out there that are good and knowing where to look?. Everyone will have to keep a solid eye out for any gear mentioned above, Ill be sure to. Good stuff Mark for helping him out!

5. Nick Monk says:

That makes me sick to the stomach. Who cares about losing a camera or two (they can be replaced) but all those images??

As a police officer I can only offer the following advice – these items will be sold. It is a good idea to set up ‘alerts’ on Ebay for some of the less-popular items in particular which will email you when those items are listed. It may help, particularly if one particular seller seems to be selling a number of items like the ones stolen. Also it is also worth ringing second-hand stores like Cash Converters in the surrounding suburbs to where the items were stolen, and visiting stores for a few weeks. It is also not a good idea to alert them to what was stolen too soon, as they may turn away the crook and not buy the item, which will thwart getting items back. If you find an item that is one of the ones stolen alert the police. The store has to hand the item to police, and second-hand stores by law require photo ID of the person selling the goods, and they are easily tracked.

I really hope Tony gets a good outcome from this. I would also be asking the local papers if they will run a ‘sob’ story on this. It has been known that saying something like “there is 10 years worth of images on those discs, my livelihood, keep the cameras and computer but please return the discs anonymously to ” can produce a good outcome.

6. did he have any insurance?

7. I am auctioning off a print of mine with the proceeds going to Tony. See here: http://beaumitchell.com/2010/11/help-photographer-cottesloe/

Whoever is the highest bidder by Sunday November 28th wins the auction.

/ End of shameless plug.

8. matt saul says:

Been doing a bit of reading, you should let Tony know to contact Apple and let them know his gear has been stolen, as they have a database of stolen serials, that way if someone comes into an apple centre for a repair for either the macbook or ipod it automatically comes up as stolen and they alert the police. Could also be worth doing with the canon gear and canon authorised repairers / second hand camera shops.

9. matt saul says:

This wont help Tony out now as it needs to be installed before you mac is stolen, but thought i would share the link as it looks pretty cool, and could be something worth installing in case something like this happens to someone else, especially with years of data on a machine.

Nice to know you would help me out if i lost my dog or something CF… I’ll keep that in mind. 🙂

Gotta feel for the the poor guy, I’ll do my little bit to help Tony.

11. David Sobik says:

Bloddy terrible. Crooks are quite stupid. I am sure Nick will agree, the gear will turn up on ebay or at a car boot sale. Keep your eyes peeled guys.

Once when I worked in a sport store this tool smashed the roof and stole a pair of roller blades, with out the laces. Next day he rolled into the store to buy some…..

Good luck Tony. Hope the gear comes home.

12. These guys have a total disrespect for people & need to be dealt with appropriately!! These people if caught need to be named & shamed. I feel for you Tony this happened to me two years my gear was insured fortunately my gear was never recovered. We need to stop these pricks!!

13. Benny says:

Tony sorry to hear about your loss, especially the hard drives of much loved images. Both Mark and Christian spoke to me yesterday about your situation. Im not sure what can be done at this stage but we will make some calls and see. Keep your chin up.

14. Dan Proud says:

Poor bloke! I had the same thing happen to me a year – ago. I had 2x 5DMk2’s, a heap of L lenses and the the gear stolen from my car parked in my driveway. I had insurance, but they wouldn’t pay because there was no damage to the car. I still haven’t recovered because Canon lenses are so expensive! I was so devastated that I sat out on the street for 3 nights waiting for the thieves to walk by so I could beat them up.

So the moral of the story is, if you have anything stolen from your house or car with no evidence of forced entry, make sure you SMASH A WINDOW!

Is anybody insured with Protecsure? Has anybody had to make a claim on stolen camera gear?

15. tone says:

Thank you Christian, ben, beau, Dylan and everyone – your thoughts and support inspires me further in what I love – austrAlia, nature, environment and photography ! I still dearly wish the return of my precious images of years of travel and adventure to amazing places as well as my gear and scumbags getting their deserves.
    I truly appreciate everyone’s support and thoughts. Some great ideas here as well.
    tone 🙂

16. Tim Wrate says:

Tony – it’s really disappointing to here this story. Each one of those images across the past ten years has it’s own story. Truly devestating to have it nabbed. Ruthless pricks. Look on the bright side though… now you have an excuse to travel to all those beautiful places again, to capture them all over again! There aren’t too many G617’s going around on the market, and hopefully it will be easily recognised.

If there is a blessing in disguise at all in this scenario, it’s a timely reminder for the rest of us to pull the proverbial finger out of the arse and get our gear insured…. but monetary loss in one thing, 10 years worth of images another…

Sorry to hear Tony.

17. dongoldney says:

I read about this at Redbubble, and feel gutted for Mark, similar thing happened to me way back in 1983, which ended up with me leaving the photo world for 20 odd years.
    Ill be donating to the fund for mark whoi have never met, but i can see the passion in his work and his cry for help,
    The fact that these non eneties have taken the back up drive as well is just unbelievable.
    I would also suggest that you look close to home for your thieves, they could well be someone you know.
    cheers and best of luck