1. Stuart says:

It should make the cut, but I don’t think Tourism WA will be suggesting it as the feature image.

2. Steve says:

I think even rubbish bins look better than that image, mate. It is one thing to show the destruction of forests by fire, but the addition of the texture overlay ruins it for me. You seem to be mixing documentary work with arty-farty effects. It simply doesn’t work.

• Hey Steve.. I kinda like the way that ‘documentary’ work is mixed with arty-farty stuff.

In my mind, aren’t all photographs of the landscape ‘documenting’ a scene a particular point in time… and then how you present them to others is how you put your own personal/creative slant on them?? What’s the difference between a view of a mountain with trees and a stream… and a view of a mountain with trees denuded??? .. only perhaps a judgement of the nature of the narrative. It’s sitll just a pic…. I don’t personally feel an expression of an image should be restricted by a judgement of how one thinks the subject ‘should’ be rendered because of the subject matter or narrative.

I’m personally not a huge fan of textured overlays… but I see that Christian is really enjoying working with them… and I think actually creating some wonderful images… and I just look at the image in front of me for what it is… not what I think it should be like.

Anyway… hope I haven’t ruffled any feathers Steve… 🙂 .. just my opinion. 🙂

Julie

3. Stuart says:

Wow – it even elicits Burtynsky-like responses…

4. Pamela Brittain says:

I really love this sorrowful image especially the textures ! -‘cutting edge’

5. Steve says:

Hi Julie et al,

I am not against textures by any means. I just prefer to see destruction and loss in its simplest and most graphic way possible. I feel that “in your face” approach has the most impact. Thus using a texture or overlay diminishes that impact for me.

Perhaps for me it all boils down to the bit about dressing up a pig, no matter how fine the clothes, or overlay, it is still a pig,

6. Steve says:

Actually slathered with BBQ sauce on the barbie is my preference. 🙂

7. Stakky says:

Gday again CF! Honestly when you’ve been looking at traditional colourful tourism landscapes for so long a dark and grungy image like this is kind of refreshing. i like it!

8. matthewinman says:

Nice, nice and gritty, with a touch of apocalypse.

9. Maxime says:

I love the colors and the composition. Nice work